homestead - Re: [Homestead] Sweet potatoes

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Sweet potatoes
  • Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 09:15:54 -0700

On Nov 23, 2007, at 1:29 PM, EarthNSky wrote:

It seems to me that the potatoes this year were
smaller than in past years...have I lost adaption, or do you think it
was just the drought?

They need water but less than you might think. Here in Phoenix I cut up two sweets a couple years ago and planted the chunks in some imported topsoil that filled behind a new retaining wall. I can report that sweet potatoes thrive in heat. The vines threatened to take over the place. More potatoes than we could use. Did not water excessively; the foliage was so thick that it made shade for the roots.

When I am full-time at Heartwood the crop is typically more than we eat so instead of making and planting slips I cut up and plant pieces as with white potatoes.

Btw, Chris and I have become sweet potato fry enthusiasts. Made like French fries and dipped. Yum!