homestead - Re: [Homestead] floor registers, wood heat...

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] floor registers, wood heat...
  • Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 08:48:21 -0500

On Oct 24, 2007, at 1:28 PM, tom wrote:

We heat the small house we're rehabbing (approx. 500 sq. ft on the
first floor, 450 sq. ft on the second) with a centrally located wood
stove on the first floor, which aside from the bathroom is one open
space. There is no heat on the second floor, and for the coldest
parts of the year we'll probably close of the upstairs and sleep
downstairs, but I'd like to put a register between the two floors to
get some heat upstairs if we want it. Does one follow the
conventional wisdom for ducted heat/radiators and put the register on
an outside wall under a window to avoid drafts? Or would it be
better to put the register as close to the location of the
woodstove. The upstairs rooms have no plumbing to worry about and
are only bedrooms.

Shall we presume that it's just you and another, no children? And that just propping the door open does not allow sufficient heat to go upstairs?

I would not put the openings near the outer walls. That will simply send more heat outside faster. I would place the openings where I wanted the heat, like where my feet hit the floor in the morning. Make the grates of wood so you don't burn your tootsies.

And make them closeable. Otherwise you are mostly just diminishing downstairs heat.

Btw, the upstairs floor may be your best place to keep sweet potatoes.