homestead - [Homestead] floor registers, wood heat...

  • From: tom <tom AT honeychrome.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] floor registers, wood heat...
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 14:28:49 -0400

We heat the small house we're rehabbing (approx. 500 sq. ft on the first floor, 450 sq. ft on the second) with a centrally located wood stove on the first floor, which aside from the bathroom is one open space. There is no heat on the second floor, and for the coldest parts of the year we'll probably close of the upstairs and sleep downstairs, but I'd like to put a register between the two floors to get some heat upstairs if we want it. Does one follow the conventional wisdom for ducted heat/radiators and put the register on an outside wall under a window to avoid drafts? Or would it be better to put the register as close to the location of the woodstove. The upstairs rooms have no plumbing to worry about and are only bedrooms.
Thanks
Tom