homestead - Re: [Homestead] Newbie intro

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Newbie intro
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 08:03:08 EDT

> Sounds idyllic. Do you have coyotes in your area?

Alas, yes. But we also have a fierce attack donkey. The area the goats are
in is about 7 acres, two of which are woods, enclosed by an elephant scorcher
electric fence. Coyotes would ignore that. But not one grasshopper nor
drop
of dew falls on that domain that the donkey is not aware of and anything he
does not approve of (and he is not an approving fellow) sends his ears laid
back, muzzle to the ground, and in full attack mode.

Our own dogs won't go into that field. Yet to the ten-year-old, the donkey
is just like a puppy dog. He will stand stock still to have his hooves
trimmed
and is undergoing training for riding and packing.

Since we've had him, our chicken loss is 1/3 what it used to be. Hawks and
eagles still outwit him from time to time. The chickens are firmly locked in
the Feste Burg chicken fortress at night but we used to have quite a few
daytime losses. </HTML>