homestead - Re: [Homestead] I've seen it all now

  • From: "SISU!" <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] I've seen it all now
  • Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 01:12:09 -0400

LOL....that's interesting. I've always called what you call a portable
cart a wheeled bag, like a 'wheeled suitcase'. In common speech around
here, a golf cart is motorized. I've never even heard anyone say
'portable cart' or 'portable golf cart' and in fact, I missed the word
portable when I read the post. Rereading it, you're right, I'm sure the
poster wants what you describe, not what I envisioned. However, just
out of curiosity, I googled "portable golf cart" and it pulled up stuff
for motorized golf carts. I got to thinking about it (motorized vs.
non-motorized carts)...around here, people don't even say shopping cart,
they call it a grocery buggy. Language differences are interesting. In
circumstances like this, it's really enlightening to see how
language-even one simple word-can change the whole meaning or thought.
Thanks... I've broadened my horizons tonight! :)

Bev

Lynda wrote:
I'm confused, what the heck's wrong with wanting one of those little
*portable* carts. Eleven, for a whole lot of girls, is a bit small
to be lugging around a full golf bag if they are playing more than a
couple of holes. Or are folks confusing a *portable* golf cart with
one of those things you sit on and ride around in? A portable golf
cart is just a little hand cart that is a kind of fancy golf bag on
wheels.

Lynda ----- Original Message ----- From: "VAN DELL JORDAN"
<vdjor AT yahoo.com>

I suppose someone might have an unused golf cart sitting around. I
wonder if anyone has suggested to the girl that carrying the bags
would be good exercise? I have seen a couple of posts asking for a
working car. I really doubt if anyone has any of those just sitting around to give away.