homestead - [Homestead] Places in Missouri

  • From: "Clint L. Novak" <CNovak AT CNS.COM>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Places in Missouri
  • Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 09:07:58 -0600

Say Don I can tell you of several places you might find acceptable, just
depends on what you consider affordable. We figure aroud 60,000-70,000
is our comfortable range. Here are some we've found in Missouri:

Near Cabool: 151 acres 231,000 on the upper South Fork of the Jacks Fork
and Pine Creek. This is a wonderful piece with some detractors, but way
out of our price range. We visited it several times even though we'd
have to win the lottery to get it. Pine Creek is actually knee deep in
many areas.

Near Clearmont in NW Missouri: Something like 38 acres with a long
stretch of the Nodaway River. That's in the $70's it believe, but too
far north for what we want.

I've seen several smaller pieces under 4 acres on rivers like the
Current River, Spring River and Black River for varying prices, some are
fairly affordable.

In Mammoth Spring AR: Near Thayer, its 6 miles south of Mammoth Springs
on a gravel road. This is a long narrow 17 acre piece that narrows to
the Spring River to about 200 feet of river front. It has good access
and a hill to build high on. Detractors are some covenants, and a train
tracks across the river. It asking is $95,000. A bit rich for us, but
the river is nice there.

Lebanon, MO: There is a 20 acre wooded piece on the Osage Fork that
wasn't too bad, easy access to the river was limited, but it was right
off pavement, near a bridge with access to the river and maybe 1/4 mile
of river. They were asking 100,000.

Near Lebanon: 30 acres on the Osage Fork, for $75,000, we didn't look
too close. The land was really flat, no trees and it looked like flood
plain. We didn't even check out the river.

SOUTH SYLAMORE CREEK in Arkansas: If you want secluded this is a good
piece. The creek flows into the White river and once we got to the
property is was really nice. 4 wheel drive is a must for this one, it
was 17 acres for $85,000, kinda pricey for the access issues, but really
pretty there.

Anyway there are more if you or anyone else is interested. We keep
looking, we will eventually find the right piece. I'm kinda like you
Don, just want to have some bees for honey for my mead, some a small
grove of fruit trees, some grape vines, an area for gardening for my
wife and her gourds of course, and some place down by the river to have
a fire in the evening and hear the water running by. We also want
enough acreage to maintain our privacy.

I've kept most of the spec sheets on the properties we've seen, if you'd
like more information I can bundle them and send them on, just let me
know.

Clint