homestead - [Homestead] Tvo post- Re: Tractors April 1998

  • From: Rob <becida AT comcast.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Tvo post- Re: Tractors April 1998
  • Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 07:40:26 -0800

Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 23:15:59 -0400
Sender: owner-homestead AT listserv.oit.unc.edu
From: tvoivozd <tvoivozd AT roanoke.infi.net>
To: homestead AT listserv.oit.unc.edu
Subject: Re: Tractors

Viking wrote:

> Help everyone, We need a quick tractor tutorial. I just hate to show my
> ignorance, but help is needed. The more we look the more confused we
> get. We can not afford a new tractor and we are budgeted under 10K for
> one(including all implements). I have been told by several people that
> this will be a necessity on our farm as it grows up fast. I do not want
> some huge monster thing, just something that I can work 1 or 2 rows at a
> time with. We will need a bushhog as minimal equipment. I would also
> eventually like to have a plow/harrow, mower and a baler. I have been
> looking at PTO driven 3 pt hitch tractors, old, old things(from the
> '50's), and I am really confused. I am looking for advice on Ford's,
> Massey Fergusons, and Farmall tractors as they seem to be in abundance
> in this area and parts would not be hard to find. I do not think I will
> be able to afford a Deere. :(
> What are the advantages of diesel tractors over gas?
> What should I look for in the way of the hydraulics over than leaks? I
> know to make sure it lifts and lowers smoothly.
> How do I tell whether or not one has seen better days? Major warning
> signs? What models do we avoid?
> What do yall use? I need recommendations. Let's talk tractors...We
> trust you guys 'cause you aren't trying to sell us anything. :) I don't
> want to buy something that we won't be able to sell later either. The
> front pasture that needs cutting now will be maintained by sheep in the
> future, but I can't get sheep yet due to fencing and other issues.
> Also, we have a lot of stumps to pull and things to move around. And, I
> will be tractoring chickens. Please give us some advice-all is
> appreciated.
>
> --
> Beverly and Ron Niklasson
> bniklass AT bellsouth.net

tvoivozhd>>>If your ultimate goal is to be able to run a square baler you
need about forty horsepower and a live power take-off. The live power
take-off means the pto runs independent of the forward movement of the
tractor rear wheels. This enables the baler to be brought up to operating
speed before it is called upon to start gathering and baling hay---and avoid
constant plugging of hay that has to be cleared out by hand (with great care
and the tractor engine shut off.)

To run a round baler you need fifty-five to sixty horsepower, and
quick-disconnect hydraulic connections mounted at the rear of the tractor.

The little 27 or so horsepower Ford 8N's, 9N's, Ferguson 20's etc. are very
easy to handle, but do not have live pto's and will not handle any kind of a
baler---for that a Massey 35 is absolute minimum. You can pull a bush hog
with them but you have to equip the bush hog drive shaft with an overrunning
clutch---a lot of energy is stored in the blade when it is running at top
speed and you want to slow down or stop the tractor.

A diesel runs a lot cheaper than a gas engine---providing you keep the fuel
clean. It won't start in cold weather unless you have a block heater on the
engine, and means of heating the fuel line sufficiently to keep wax from
forming.

If you are not knowledgeable about tractor mechanics, the best investment
you can make is to hire a knowledgeable mechanic to thoroughly check over
the tractor before you make an offer on it.

Around here the Masseys and Fords are the best buys and parts are always
available. Do a lot of checking around before you really get serious about
buying---it is time well spent. One of the best sources is a magazine found
at some convenience-stores called Big Truck And Equipment Trader--there are
several versions for autos, motorcycles, and one covers trucks, construction
equipment and farm equipment. Some of the South Caroline dealers seem to
have the better bargains---one recently was a Ford 4000 with fourteen pieces
of equipment for $5900, ostensibly all in good shape.

The URL on the trader magazines has been changed in the past few weeks and
the index doesn't bring up the farm equipment that I see in the magazine on
the shelves---but here it is in case they change the format again
http://www.traderonline.com/

"Yesterdays Tractors"---excerpts below always has a lot of ads, particularly
in the small tractors, and High Plains Journal has even more, though most of
theirs may be too large for your purpose---you will find a few that are more
appropriate.

Farm auctions for farmers going out of business are a good source---the
equipment tends to be both somewhat lower in price and since it is in daily
use (usually), apt to be in better condition than one traded off because it
had problems. The same caveat applies---take a good mechanic with you and
look at, operate the machine as is usually permitted, the day before the
auction.

You haven't mentioned a front-end loader. I rate this as the most useful
item of equipment on a tractor and I absolutely would not run a tractor at
all without a rollbar. A suddenly intractable load, a moment of inattention
and instead of you being on top of the tractor, the tractor is on top of
you.
One of my friends last year got a broken back and came perilously close to
permanent paralysis because his new tractor tires picked up a sapling and
whipped it across his back as he was travelling through his woodlot. Just
something to remember when designing and installing a rollbar---a tractor is
a farm necessity, but treacherous.

A $10,000 budget should be more than sufficient for all your
needs---including a front end loader, providing it comes with the tractor.
Finding one to fit and installing it later is somewhat more expensive.

http://www.yesterdaystractors.com/classifieds/classifieds.html

FS: Ford 8N with Funk 6 cylinder conversion and Sherman hi/lo, good tires,
needs paint. RUNS
GREAT $3200.
L Steiner Email: <Lasteiner AT aol.com> Phone: 330-682-7146
Orrville, OH USA - Tuesday, April 14, 1998 at 10:13:14 (PDT)

tvoivozhd>>>I don't know what the horsepower of the 6 and 8 cylinder
conversions are, but they should be enough to run a square baler, though as
mentioned before, without a live pto you have to be careful to get the baler
up to speed before you start down the row of hay and start baling. The
Sherman Hi-Lo is very useful--gives you eight speeds forward instead of
four, and two reverse.

FS: 861 ford tractor, loader, flail mower, digger, plow. fewer than 20 hours
on major engine
overhaul. $6500 for total package
arlene berg Email: <mumble AT prtel.com>
battle lake, mn USA - Sunday, April 12, 1998 at 19:56:11 (PDT)

FS: Ford 9N, restored, with Sherman hi/lo transmission $3500.
Ralph Schrader Phone: 810-648-2945
Sandusky, MI USA - Sunday, April 12, 1998 at 17:52:22 (PDT)

FS: FS 1989 Belarus (Nortrack) 250A. 25HP Diesel 150 hours like new
condition. Always under
cover. Located in central Virginia. E-mail at Beazbrock AT aol.com for details.
$3250.00 OBO.
David Beazley Email: <Beazbrock AT aol.com>
Palmyra, VA USA - Sunday, April 12, 1998 at 17:30:33 (PDT)

S: 951 Ford gas. 47 HP. Rebuilt engine, hydr. pump, brakes. New
seat,fenders, toplink, liftbar.
All lights, gauges work. Aux. rear hydraulics., live hydr., wide front, P/S.
Excellent condition.
$4250. Alliance, Ohio.
Jim Buchanan Email: <buchmach AT cannet.com> Phone: 330-8239465
Alliance, Oh USA - Saturday, April 11, 1998 at 16:22:27 (PDT)

S: TO 30 Ferguson new paint, very org, runs/operates great, PTO/Hyd
good,,,,,, $3000
Dean Clubb Email: <DeanClubb AT aol.com> Phone: 502-845-4002 502-845-4585
Pleasureville, KY USA - Thursday, April 09, 1998 at 18:25:52 (PDT)

S: 1952 8N ford with backhoe and loader. Used for grave digging. Excellent
shape. Everything
works. Asking $6500.00.
RICK FRANKFURT Email: <franks5 AT netins.net> Phone: 319-488-3985
Wyoming , Ia USA - Thursday, April 16, 1998 at 15:30:52 (PDT)

High Plains Journal Classified Advertisements (many dealers of farm
equipment and the machines they have for sale)
http://www.hpj.com/cgi-bin/classold/subpage.pl?54!Machinery%For%Sale

  • [Homestead] Tvo post- Re: Tractors April 1998, Rob, 02/19/2006