homestead - [Homestead] Tvo post- Correction Re Tractors Part II--Compact Yuppie Toys Apr '98

  • From: Rob <becida AT comcast.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Tvo post- Correction Re Tractors Part II--Compact Yuppie Toys Apr '98
  • Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 07:42:13 -0800

Date: Sun, 19 Apr 1998 13:24:44 -0400
Sender: owner-homestead AT listserv.oit.unc.edu
From: tvoivozd <tvoivozd AT roanoke.infi.net>
To: "homestead AT listserv.oit.unc.edu" <homestead AT listserv.oit.unc.edu>
Subject: Correction Re Tractors Part II--Compact Yuppie Toys

Where are you Don Bowen, Grandad, Vern et al., now that I need you?
Someone should have picked up on an error in the previous posting when I
wrote about thinking of purchasing an 8N with Hi-Lo and Funk engine
conversion.

It just dawned on me that I implied a tractor-powered woodsplitter,
mixer, chipper-shredder, fencepost auger can be used on an 8N. Well,
yes it can---but not using the installed PTO---it requires an addition
to provide the equivalent of the live pto the 8N lacks. You have to
install a belt-driven hydraulic pump, motor, open-center control valve,
oil-tank, filter and integral or jack-shaft mounted pto-shaft to
supplement the factory "dead"-pto. Be sure to match the pto rpm with rpm
required by the equipment---which can be either 540 or in later models
1000 rpm to match the 1000 rpm pto of later tractors.

Another thing I forgot, the Ford 9N, 8N, NAA and the Ferguson T020,
T030, came factory-equipped with a 1 1/8 inch splined 540 rpm PTO.
Subsequent tractors used a 1 3/8 inch 6-spline and so did all the much
more numerous matching equipment. You can get install an adaptor if you
have equipment requiring both sizes of pto---the adaptor is somewhat
fragile and breaks if abused---or you can replace the 1-1/8 inch pto
with a 1-3/8 inch pto kit.

Another note---you can install a three-point lift kit on old tractors
that weren't born with one. The kits cost about $300 to $600. The
usual kit is a category I---Cat II equipment is too heavy for the small
older tractors. Here is a source on these kits
http://www.yesterdaystractors.com/3ptcat.htm

  • [Homestead] Tvo post- Correction Re Tractors Part II--Compact Yuppie Toys Apr '98, Rob, 02/19/2006