homestead - [Homestead] Tvo post- Re: Small farm tractors and basic equipment(was buckwheat) Aug 2000

  • From: Rob <becida AT comcast.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Tvo post- Re: Small farm tractors and basic equipment(was buckwheat) Aug 2000
  • Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 07:38:55 -0800

Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 07:54:09 -0400
From: tvoivozhd <tvoivozd AT roanoke.infi.net>
Subject: Re: Small farm tractors and basic equipment(was buckwheat)

Don Bowen wrote:

> At 08:27 PM 8/10/2000 , you wrote:
> >tvoivozhd wrote:
> > >
> > > (b) The next in priority, and maybe the first, is a front-end
> > loader. If you
> > > haven't used one, you won't realize this, but
> > > after using it, you will think seriously about trading your eldest
> > child for
> > > one.
>
> Be sure to get a tractor that can handle a front end loader. Older
> tractors were not designed with the heavy front ends needed. Usually
> anything built after the late fifties will have a stronger front.
>
> Don Bowen donb AT cts.com
> Valley Center, CA Senior Software Engineer
> Internet development and software engineering

Tvoivozhd---I used an 8N in the early 1950's in the building business for
running a hydraulic pump which powered a guillotine making "split rock" from
ribbons of concrete for siding, and used its front end loader for cleanup,
landscaping, lifting shingles to the roof etc. I welded up a heavier front
front end, attaching heavier spindles and larger tires. Should have added power
steering, especially on soft ground. Incidentally, tractor, front end loader
and concrete siding equipment all together then cost $1700---all in like new
condition.

  • [Homestead] Tvo post- Re: Small farm tractors and basic equipment(was buckwheat) Aug 2000, Rob, 02/19/2006