homestead - Re: [Homestead] sauerkraut

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT dtnspeed.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] sauerkraut
  • Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 18:38:50 -0600

<<I am now thinking about freezing it. I am still living with
relatives that hate it when I get out the canner. I figure if I put it in
bags and freeze any yeast growth will stop and when I cook it, I'm good. I
already ate some and it is not "bad" in any way including looks.>>

Uh-huh. It will probably be safe but it will taste like fodder or something
worse. Sauerkraut frozen is sauerkraut that should be put on the compost
pile (though the high salt content might screw up the compost).

Marie