homestead - Re: [Homestead] sauerkraut

  • From: "Rob Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] sauerkraut
  • Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 18:36:05 -0500

I'm partial to the idea of canning it, with maybe some vinegar even, if
it doesn't meet the acidity level for water-bath canning. It can only
change into something else (that you maybe don't enjoy the flavor of)
the longer it sits, especially if it really did sit for a prolonged
period in the high and dry air. It's best to be skeptical of any
anaerobic pickle that oxygen has gotten into.

Bill,

Thanks. I am now thinking about freezing it. I am still living with relatives that hate it when I get out the canner. I figure if I put it in bags and freeze any yeast growth will stop and when I cook it, I'm good. I already ate some and it is not "bad" in any way including looks.

This growth is almost certainly a result of the low liquid level. The brine
needs to cover the cabbage to keep other unwanted creatures from growing.

Marie,

All was well until I went down to my place to get involved in moving the work along on the mobile. When I came back it was a bit dry. Not much, but brine level just at the top of the kraut.

Good for you. Good luck solving your problem. I'm coming over for a
reuben sandwich.

Lisa, That would solve the preservation problem. I like sauerkraut. My grandparents used to make it. Granddad worked part time in a suaerkraut factory off an on in the 30s :>) Homeade kraut is cheap and easy, great tasting.

Any tips for freezing? I have heard not to freeze, but have done it and like it that way also.

Rob