homestead - [Homestead] sauerkraut

  • From: "Rob Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Homestead" <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] sauerkraut
  • Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 16:25:27 -0500

Hey all,

I made a 5 gallon bucket of sauerkraut this fall. It came out fine. You know
the method, slice the cabbage, salt and pack hard into a 5 gallon bucket. I
covered with a couple of cabbage leaves, a plate and weighed that down. The
ferment was slow, cause the basement a bit cool. A couple of weeks ago, I
noticed that it needed some water. I boiled some water, added salt and after
cooling added the brine to the kraut to bring the level up to where it needed
to be. I also removed a few handfuls and ate it. Good.

Now there is a funky growth on top of the water that smells yeasty. I sat the
kraut in a real cold area (not freezing, but close) so that would not be able
to grow.

Whaddya think that growth is?

I was hoping to can maybe half the kraut and leave the rest in the bucket. I
am thinking about canning it all now. Anybody seen this yeasty stuff on top
of the kraut?

Have a Merry KwanzaChristmaaka :>)

Rob
>From lkvp AT floydva.net Fri Dec 23 16:29:38 2005
>I made a 5 gallon bucket of sauerkraut this fall.

Good for you. Good luck solving your problem. I'm coming over for a
reuben sandwich.

Lisa