homestead - Re: [Homestead] Seed Saving

  • From: Bill Jones <billj AT harborside.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Seed Saving
  • Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 12:08:05 -0800

You probably should check out the Garden Seed Inventory. It has exhaustive listings of all the open-pollinated (i. e., non-hybrid, savable) seeds that can presently be purchased in North America. I used it to find "Giant Zittau" onion, an overwintering onion with good keeping propeties. It's loaded with exotic old-time veggies like white beets and black tomatoes.

Bill
S. Oregon coast

P. S. -- For a real treat, check out Italian beet recipes online (unknown in America) by typing "barbabietola" into a search engine and hitting Translate. It's always a hoot to use the translator, and you wouldn't believe the ways that Northern Italians put white beets to use (but you can substitute red ones).

Tracy wrote:

Thanks to all for the input about seed saving. The book, SEED TO SEED, by Suzanne Ashworth looks exactly like the reference I was looking for. I understood the basics of seed saving but was not sure of the exact relationships of individual plants, what ones were biennial, etc. Thanks again.

Tracy Julian
in North East-Central Minnesota