homestead - Re: [Homestead] Plugging Into the Net, Through the Humble Wall Outlet

  • From: Rob <becidawa AT hctc.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Plugging Into the Net, Through the Humble Wall Outlet
  • Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 19:08:24 -0700

At 10/29/2004 01:32 PM, you wrote:

Mr. Copps and others note that the United States has lately become a broadband laggard; it ranks 13th in the world in broadband penetration, behind countries such as Japan, Korea, Denmark and Iceland. Many believe one main reason is cost. While Americans typically pay $40 to $50 monthly for a D.S.L. or cable modem connection, the Japanese, for example, pay $10 to $15 a month for even faster connections.

I have to admit that when I left MN high speed internet access was available, at a cost I couldn't afford (they ran fiber optic cables all over the place, even way out by my place). There was a $300 hardware fee and then another 60 or so a month.
Up here we were limited to dial-up until the last few months, cable is available now (through the cable tv company) but I can't justify the 60 a month. It would be 20 less if I went with the cable service.
The bottom line runs everything here in the USA.

Rob

becidawa AT hctc.com
Now in western Washington, USA