homestead - RE: [Homestead] Plugging Into the Net, Through the Humble Wall Outlet

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT dtnspeed.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Homestead] Plugging Into the Net, Through the Humble Wall Outlet
  • Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 13:56:32 -0500

Jerry writes about getting wireless Internet.

<<I don't know enough about computer ISP services to even make
recommendations, but thought that this might be something some enterprising
homesteader could offer as a service to neighbors. One could charge a
small fee, and maybe make a little money -- at least enough to pay for the
equipment.>>

Wireless Internet has arrived here in my rural area that is not going to
have cable infrastructure for a long, long time if ever -- and our phone
service is so marginal that I final got rid of the landlines and now just
use a cell phone.

I get Internet through DTN Speednet, which has been supplying farmers with
data for quite a while and has now branched into being an ISP. Also, the
other local ISP, which was the only one for several years, has moved from
phone modem service to also having wireless. Wireless is a huge improvement
over phone lines; my wireless is about as fast as the T1 at work, at least
for practical purposes.

Marie