gmark - Re: [GMark] [Synoptic-L] parables in Mk. 3:23-27?

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "Monnie Sears" <msears AT amce.com>
  • To: "Kata Markon" <gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [GMark] [Synoptic-L] parables in Mk. 3:23-27?
  • Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2007 09:23:08 -0500

I suppose the author is counting five parables as follows:

[23]And he called them unto him,

and said unto them in parables,

1 How can Satan cast out Satan?

2 [24]And if a kingdom be divided

against itself, that kingdom

cannot stand.

3 [25]And if a house be divided

against itself, that house

cannot stand.

4 [26]And if Satan rise up against

himself, and be divided, he

cannot stand, but hath an end.

5 [27]No man can enter into a

strong man's house, and spoil

his goods, except he will first

bind the strong man; and then he

will spoil his house.

Verses 26 and 27 appear to be one statement, not being separated by "and" as are the other sentences. However, I suspect that Jesus' discourse was lengthier and that Mark only recorded those parts of it that were pertinent to the purpose of his gospel. This suspicion is borne out by Matthew's version of this event (Mat. 12:25-29). Matthew's record of Jesus' lecture includes two sentences (12:27 and 12:28) between the 4th and 5th parables enumerated above. So they are two separate statements, not one. If I were editing a red-letter edition, I would have the first "and" in verses 24, 25 and 26 printed in black; as written by Mark and not spoken by Jesus.

Monnie Sears, LS

Survey Department Manager

Allgeier, Martin & Associates

P.O. Box 2627

Joplin, Missouri 64803

www.amce.com

However, my real question has to do not with what SATANAS means in 3:23, but
whether or not there are, as Kelly claims, five separate parables/comparisons
in Mk. 3:23-27.

Does anyone have any answers for that?

Jeffrey

--