gmark - Re: [GMark] Grammar Enquiry

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "Ted Blakley" <jtedblakley AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Kata Markon" <gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [GMark] Grammar Enquiry
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 09:59:37 +0100

Dear John,
     As Jeffrey suggested this is a text critical question. Looking at Swanson I see that for Mark 1:16-17, there are three different spellings for word "fishers." I say spellings because these are all the same grammatical form, masc. nom. plural.

1.  hALEEIS
2.  hALEIEIS
3.  hALIEIS

hALEEIS (1) is the reading found in Westcott-Hort; though Tishendorf and the UBS4/NA27 regard hALIEIS (3) as being original. Of course, these variations are not differences in the "text" but differences in orthographic representation of the text.

In Liddell-Scott, the lexical entry for the masc. nom. sing. is hALIEUS with a note that it was later written as hALEEUS. Thus we have two different stems hALI- and hALE- which would explain 1 and 3. Without having done any research, my impression is that (2) is a scribal error and so does not reflect an additional spelling in currency. After all, (2) occurs in just two manuscripts (D, L*) and a corrector came along in L and changed it from hALEIEIS (2) to hALEEIS (3).

Sincerely,
Ted Blakley