gmark - Re: [GMark] Grammar Enquiry

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000 AT comcast.net>
  • To: Kata Markon <gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [GMark] Grammar Enquiry
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 01:05:16 -0500

John Gale wrote:

> Dear Jeffrey, Thank you responding. The translator is Ivan Panin (ex
> Harvard) "Numeric Greek New Testament" (1934) I have undertaken a
> research project on his hypothesis. My enquiry relates to the fact
> that he consistently uses the form aleeis as against alieis for
> "fisher (s)". (not a typographical error) My enquiry is therefore
> grammatical.
>
> It is not grammatical question since there is not a whit of diggerence
> in meaning between the two words, And it is a question of which of
> these two words for fishermen (hALIEIS or hALEEIS is original to the
> text of Mk. 1:16, 17.
>
> Why would a competent scholar use this form?

The assumption at work here is that with respect to the Greek text and
matters biblical Panin ** was** a competent scholar, let alone one who
did not force his facts to fit his pet theories.

>From what I've been able to gather just in a quick google search, Panin
was, when it came to the Greek text of the Bible, a bit of a nut case
and a forerunner of Bible Code people, who selected what evidence
helped best to prove what he wanted to believe about the Bible and whose
mathematical musings and statistical calculations were not as sound as
they should have been.

See http://www.bibletopics.com/BIBLESTUDY/83.htm

Jeffrey Gibson

Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)