gmark - Response to Sid (long)

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "L. J. Swain" <larry.swain AT wmich.edu>
  • To: Kata Markon <gmark AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Response to Sid (long)
  • Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 17:46:21 -0500

My Dear Sid,

Your last message I found interesting if misguided. While many of your
comments are arguable, I'll focus on one. Before I do, let me point out
that I never stated that the word "temptation is impossible"for
PEIRASMOS, I simply stated that it wasn't the best choice in modern
English because of a linguistic shift.

Pasted below my comments here are the defintions from several recent
English dictionaries including Merriam Webster's, American Heritage,
Oxford, and thesauri listing their synonyms for "tempt" and
"temptation". In not a single instance do we find "moral test" an
option. I think you'll find that the number one, consistently appearing
synonym and definition is "enticement", objections noted.

Larry Swain

>The principle meaning of temptation in modern English certainly is not
>"enticement" but the test of will arising out of enticement. Translators
>concerned with accuracy and not pedantry realize that and translate the
>passages accordingly.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth
Edition. 2000.

NOUN: 1. The act of tempting or the condition of being tempted. 2.
Something tempting or enticing.

tempt
VERB: Inflected forms: tempt·ed, tempt·ing, tempt
TRANSITIVE VERB:
1. To try to get (someone) to do wrong, especially by a promise of
reward.
2. To be inviting or attractive to: A second helping tempted me. We
refused the
offer even though it tempted us. See synonyms at lure. 3. To provoke
or to
risk provoking: Don't tempt fate. 4. To cause to be strongly
disposed: He was
tempted to walk out.
INTRANSITIVE VERB: To be attractive or inviting: a meal that tempts.

Roget’s II: The New Thesaurus, Third Edition. 1995.

tempt

VERB:
1. To behave so as to bring on (danger, for example): court,
invite, provoke. See SEEK. 2.
To beguile or draw into a wrong or foolish course of action:
allure, entice, inveigle, lure,
seduce. Idioms: lead astray. See PERSUASION.

Roget’s II: The New Thesaurus, Third Edition. 1995.
temptation
NOUN: Something that attracts, especially with the promise of pleasure
or reward: allurement,bait, come-on, enticement, inducement,
inveiglement, invitation, lure, seduction. See LIKE.

Online AskOxford Dictionaries and Thesaurus
tempt

verb 1 entice, incite to what is forbidden. 2 allure, attract. 3
risk provoking.
tempter noun. tempting adjective. temptingly adverb. temptress
noun.

·1bait, bribe, cajole, coax, decoy, entice, incite, inveigle,
offer incentives,
persuade. 2allure, attract, captivate, fascinate, lure, seduce,
tantalize. tempting
see APPETIZING.

temptation

/temp"te()n/ noun 1 tempting, being tempted; incitement, esp. to
wrongdoing.
2 attractive thing or course of action.

·1allurement, cajolery, coaxing, enticement, incitement,
inducement, persuasion,
seduction, wooing. 2allurement, attraction, bait, draw, enticement,
inducement,
lure, pull, snare.

Merriam Webster's 10th Edition, 1996:

tempt: to ENTICE (emphasis mine) to do wrong by promise of pleasure or
gain 2. obsolete, a. to make a trial of: test b. to try presumptuously:
provoke c. to risk the dangers of 3. a. to induce to do something b. to
cause to be strongly inclined syn: see LURE

temptation: 1. the act of tempting or state of being in temptation,
ENTICEMENT 2. something enticing, the cause or occasion of enticement.

MS ENCARTA Dictionary:
tempt [ tempt ]
transitive verb

1. incite desire: to cause desire or craving to arise in somebody
tempted by that chocolate cake

2. incite to transgression: to persuade or attempt to persuade somebody
to do something considered wrong

3. invite: to invite or attract somebody The sightseeing tour tempted
us.

4. risk: to risk the possible destructive powers of something tempt the
gods

temptation:
1. feeling: a craving or desire for something, especially something
thought wrong yield to temptation

2. enticing act: the enticing of desire or craving in somebody

3. enticing thing: something that or somebody who tempts somebody too
many temptations for me here

Sid Martin wrote:

> Oh, of course, I checked the translation of "test" and "trial". None of the
> extensive translations given is any any way related to PEIRASMOS. As for it
> not being a "dictionary," it is as authentic as any other online sources,
> such as this list, for example. Of course, one language is never simply a
> code for another, and every word has a range of meaning which does not
> precisely coincide with that of a word in another language. Hence, the art
> of translation. "Test" may meaning "examination" and "trial" may mean
> "litigation." Think how odd it would sound, however, to say "watch and pray
> that you be not examined" or, indeed, "examine," nor would "lead us not into
> litigation" be entirely satisfactory. The principle meaning of temptation
> in modern English certainly is not "enticement" but the test of will arising
> out of enticement. Translators concerned with accuracy and not pedantry
> realize that and translate the passages accordingly.
>
> I find your manner personally offensive and will not be corresponding with
> your further.
>
> Sid Martin

  • Response to Sid (long), L. J. Swain, 10/25/2002