gmark - Re: Mark 4:12

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "Dennis MacDonald" <dmacdon AT cst.edu>
  • To: 'Kata Markon' <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Mark 4:12
  • Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 11:16:31 -0700

I have developed six criteria for detecting literary antecedents,
especially for mimesis. I was in fact influenced in part by discussions of
Paul's use of the Hebrew Bible, but even more so by theorists of Latin
poetry. They are:
1. Accessibility of the putative model, 2. evidence of analogous imitations
or influence, 3. density or volume of the parallels, 4. similar order of
presentation, 5, traits distinctive to the model and imitation, and 6.
benefits of viewing the proposed imitation as such. e.g., does the text
improve on its model. I develop these criteria especially in the Homeric
Epics and the Gospel of Mark, but a new book to be published by Yale
University Press develops and applies the criteria in more detail: Does the
New Testament Imitate Homer? Dennis MacDonald