gmark - Re: Mark 4:12

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "Rick Frommich" <eugor3 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Mark 4:12
  • Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 15:11:31 +0000

The basis for Mark 4:12 is Isaiah 6:9 in the Septuagint. 'ina is understandable in light of the fact that according to the Isaiah passage as it appears in the Septuagint the people are culpable for their condition.

LXX Isaiah 6:9 And he said, "go and say to this people,
ye shall hear indeed but not uderstand, ye shall see
indeed but not perceive. For the heart of this people has
become gross and their ears are dull of hearing and the
the eyes of them, they have closed; lest they should see
with their eyes and hear with their ears and understand
with their heart and be converted and I should heal them.

It would appear to me that Mark is also aware of another classical source for obtuseness.

Promethus Bound: I will not speak to upbraid mankind but
to set forth the friendly purpose that inspired my blessing.
First of all, though they had eyes to see, they saw to
no avail; they had ears, but they did not understand
; but, just as shapes in dreams, throughout their
length of days, [450] without purpose they wrought
all things in confusion.

Rick Richmond