gmark - Re: Mark 4:12

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "Rick Frommich" <eugor3 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Mark 4:12
  • Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 11:35:29 +0000

It amazes me that anyone would want to maintain that the compiler of Mark was unaware of classical Greek Literature after seeing the "parallels" and similarities between his work and the Odyssey. It is also apparent to me that the crucifixion scene in Mark with the taunting of the one crucified reflects the influence of the classic Play, Prometheus Bound. Now on top of these things we have the theme of obtuseness on the part of those who hear Jesus. Obtuseness, is not only an important theme for Mark but, In PB it is the very reason for which the main character, Prometheus, decides to save humankind.

Saying that there is absolutely no connection here is begging the question, (from my perspective of course}.