freetds - Re: [freetds] UTF-8 issue

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Peter Deacon <peterd AT iea-software.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] UTF-8 issue
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2019 09:00:05 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time)

On Wed, 9 Jan 2019, Deepa Umesh wrote:

Hi Peter,
I set ClientCharset=CP1252 in odbc.ini (unixODBC) But the result is as
previous :

Hi Peter,
Let me summarize my installation and configuration settings :

We are using FreeTDS(freetds-1.00.99) with UnixODBC(unixODBC-2.2.13) in Linux
Platform and provided the following configuration in
Odbc.ini in UnicODBC is as below:

[sqlprog1]
Driver=/usr/local/freetds-1.00.97/lib/libtdsodbc.so
Server=172.16.127.134
Database=sqlprog1_catdev19
Port=1433
TDS_Version=7.3
Client Charset = CP1252

Hi Deepa,

Just tried this here and found that:

'Client Charset' does not work
'ClientCharset' works

Change 'Client Charset' to 'ClientCharset'.

ClientCharset = CP1252

With no space between client and charset.

CP1252 is used in Windows Platform , is there anything similar to CP1252 in
Linux?

Platform does not matter. If it still is not working please get a debug log to confirm what is actually being used to make sure it isn't overridden by DSN string or something.

FWIW I agree with sentiments about doing this. If you use database as a UTF-8 "dumping ground" there are a number of issues with collation, field length, truncation and external software that may not have capability to decipher data. It works but have to be careful.

regards,
Peter