freetds - Re: [freetds] freebcp adding escaping

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Craig A. Berry" <craigberry AT mac.com>
  • To: jklowden AT freetds.org, FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] freebcp adding escaping
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2016 13:08:08 -0500

> On Apr 23, 2016, at 1:04 PM, James K. Lowden <james.k.lowden AT icloud.com>
> wrote:
>
> On Fri, 22 Apr 2016 16:29:42 +0200
> Fredy Paquet <fredy AT opag.ch> wrote:
>
>> Your CSV parser is very interesting, but it doesn't seem to handle
>> the ugly quoting rules for CSV correctly. Also newline within a text
>> field isn't processed correctly.
>> Isn't there any better implementation around ?
>
> As mentioned in the man page, you might look at
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/libcsv/.
>
> I don't remember why I wrote my own implementation, other than wanting
> to try my hand at writing a parser. Again, if there is interest in
> incorporating the feature in FreeTDS, I would be willing to polish it
> up. The challenge, btw, isn't so much to parse standard CSV files
> correctly. The challenge is that, in practice, many CSV files don't
> conform to the standard, yet the library is expected to DTRT
> regardless.

There is a Perl extension that I think handles a lot of the corner cases:

https://github.com/Tux/Text-CSV_XS

The file CSV_XS.xs would be where the underlying C implementation resides.
It would take some work to disentangle from the Perl interpreter details, but
the logic is there.

Craig A. Berry
mailto:craigberry AT mac.com

difficult than getting in."