freetds - [freetds] Conversion emoji symbols to UTF-8

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Velichko Yuriy <velichko.yuriy AT gmail.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] Conversion emoji symbols to UTF-8
  • Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2016 13:57:57 +0300

I use UTF-8 charset according to docs:

http://www.freetds.org/userguide/unicodefreetds.htm

My .conf includes next rows:

tds version = 7.0
client charset = UTF-8

All worked as expected until the emoji symbol appeared in the data string.

In result I got ??? symbols.

If to try example from answer in this post (all string is emoji) the
returned data from method dbdata() will be an empty string with non zero
lenght (about 60 for example).

Here I have read
http://www.freetds.org/userguide/localization.htm
that not all symbols can be converted properly. Looks like this is my case.

But maybe some one faced with this problem and solved it with FreeTDS?
Because using emoji is not rare case in our time.

Maybe need to use another encoding, or something else?

Thanks!