freetds - Re: [freetds] Encrypted connection

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Marc Abramowitz <msabramo AT gmail.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Encrypted connection
  • Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 18:41:57 -0700

On Oct 21, 2013, at 4:51 PM, Frediano Ziglio <freddy77 AT gmail.com> wrote:

> Ps: we have still to sort out the Travis patch. Does the configuration file
> need to be in the main directory? Cannot you change the name? What happen
> if another developers want to use Travis too?

Yes, I talked to josh-k, one of the Travis authors on IRC #travis. It has to
be .travis.yml in the root of the repo.

With most projects that use Travis, developers simply fork the project on
GitHub and then flip the switch to enable Travis CI for their fork, without
ever changing the .travis.yml (unless they are improving the Travis config).
In this case, it's harder because I put encrypted SQL Server credentials in
the .travis.yml - so if someone tries to run Travis CI builds on a fork with
an unchanged .travis.yml, Travis will fail to decrypt the data for a
different repo and their build will fail because it won't be able to connect
to a SQL Server. Such folks would have to find their own Internet-accessible
SQL Server and then modify the .travis.yml in their fork with new encrypted
credentials. I'd be pleasantly surprised if that became an issue (people
actually wanting to use Travis CI on their forks) :-)

In short, .travis.yml can't be renamed or moved, so if that's the only
concern, I'd vote to merge it.