freetds - Re: [freetds] Encrypted connection

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Marc Abramowitz <msabramo AT gmail.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: "freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Encrypted connection
  • Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2013 09:48:12 -0700

On Oct 17, 2013, at 4:28 PM, "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org> wrote:

>> Merge request to make an invalid encryption setting a fatal error:
>> https://gitorious.org/freetds/freetds/merge_requests/10
>
> Ouch indeed. I think the next release of FreeTDS should probably
> reject all incorrect configurations, both invalid keywords and
> out-of-range values. Diagnosing configuration errors is easier if the
> error is obvious, and the remedy is simple.

Freddy pointed out that my merge request wasn't acceptable because printing
to stderr and exit aren't appropriate for a library.

So I could you use tdsdump_log with TDS_DBG_SEVERE -- but that is
unnoticeable unless TDSDUMPCONFIG is set (and even then, it can be overlooked
in the sea of output).

Is there some middle ground - some way of indicating a config error (esp. a
serious config error like an invalid encryption setting) that is very
noticeable but doesn't overstep what a library should do?

Marc