freetds - Re: [freetds] Question on TDS and compatibility on SQL 2012

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Question on TDS and compatibility on SQL 2012
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 22:21:36 -0400

On Thu, 24 May 2012 22:53:50 +0000
Norman Chan <nochan AT ksbe.edu> wrote:

> At your organization/office do you use FreeTDS to "talk" to SQL
> Server?

Not any longer, but that's a another story. :-)

> I'm wondering if I could upgrade the database from SQL 2000 to SQL
> 2012.
>
> per the FAQ http://www.freetds.org/faq.html#What.is.FreeTDS maybe my
> question is answered

Yes, that answer still holds. The 0.91 release supports TDS 7.1
entirely and most of 7.2, and so basically acts like a 2005 client.

Work is ongoing -- mostly by Frediano -- to support all protocol
features for SQL Server 2010 in the development branch. That will be
the basis for the next release one day.

You will find SQL Server 2012 has datatypes not supported by the current
release. I would advise you to be conservative in you DDL. Try to
stick with what you know.

If you're like most people, you'll be tempted to ask when the next
release with all the cool new features will be available. The answer
is we don't know. It's a spare-time project, and spare time is getting
rare. Without more developers, we just can't stay current with
Microsoft's releases.