freetds - Re: [freetds] Question on TDS and compatibility on SQL 2012

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Norman Chan <nochan AT ksbe.edu>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Question on TDS and compatibility on SQL 2012
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 22:53:50 +0000

Hello James thanks for the warm welcome. I should correct myself typo -
it's FreeTDS http://www.freetds.org/

At your organization/office do you use FreeTDS to "talk" to SQL Server? My
workplace is using that with
SQL 2000 running on Windows and using an OSX PhP front-end for the web.

I'm wondering if I could upgrade the database from SQL 2000 to SQL 2012.

per the FAQ http://www.freetds.org/faq.html#What.is.FreeTDS maybe my
question is answered:

Does version X of FreeTDS connect to version Y of my Microsoft or Sybase
server?

"For the last several years, every version of FreeTDS has been able to
communicate with every kind of TDS server. New servers sometimes introduce
new protocol features, but the changes are small, and they're always
compatible with old clients. Generally, you should use the latest version of
the TDS protocol for your server. See the User Guide for details."

-Norman