freetds - Re: [freetds] git push #1

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Craig A. Berry" <craigberry AT mac.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] git push #1
  • Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 19:12:44 -0500

On May 23, 2012, at 2:52 PM, James K. Lowden wrote:

> On Wed, 23 May 2012 09:10:33 +0100
> Frediano Ziglio <freddy77 AT gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> I also think ChangeLog is now redundant and could be phased out.
>>> It even creates a genuine problem when trying to cherry-pick
>>> changes from master onto a maint branch when the ChangeLog was
>>> modified in the same commit as something else. Here's an example:
>>>

>> Yes, now we don't change ChangeLog every time, git log is enough, but
>> at the time you did the patch we was still in cvs -> git transition

Right, it was an illustration from the past but an indication of trouble that
could happen if we keep using the ChangeLog (as James has been doing). (and
thanks for applying my patch)

> How do I prepare a ChangeLog that details every commit since the
> previous release?
>
> I'd like to continue keeping ChangeLog in the distribution even if it's
> not a file managed by the SCM. For a release, I derive the news and
> readme files from ChangeLog.

You might start with:

% git checkout master
Already on 'master'
% git log branch-0_91..HEAD > myChangeLog
warning: refname 'branch-0_91' is ambiguous.

and see what you want in myChangeLog that's not there. There are a *lot* of
options to "git log".

I believe the ambiguous ref warning is because we have a tag name that is the
same as a branch name. I don't think, going forward, that tags should really
have "branch" in their names.

Craig A. Berry
mailto:craigberry AT mac.com

difficult than getting in."