freetds - Re: [freetds] Support for AIX 7.1

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Support for AIX 7.1
  • Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 14:59:37 -0400

On Fri, 27 Apr 2012 17:07:10 +0200
Sebastien FLAESCH <sf AT 4js.com> wrote:
> > What is the status about AIX 7.1 support?

FreeTDS is expected to compile wherever a C compiler can be found.

There is no official support, as you know. There is an active
community, and I am available for short-term engagements. :-)

It is interesting to see two AIX issues today. There might be an issue
with autoconf or similar. It would be worthwhile to fetch the latest
autotools and regenerate the configure script.

> > Is it legal to compile on AIX 6.1 and copy the binaries on 7.1?

Absolutely.

> > Is there any guide to build FreeTDS on AIX 6.1?

No, not except for http://www.freetds.org/userguide/osissues.htm#AIX.
It might be getting to be time to update that page....

> I forgot to mention that the binaries work fine on AIX 6.1, but when
> running on AIX 7.1 we get strange defects: out of memory errors,
> invalid statement execution status...

It's hard to diagnose at a distance. It sounds like a build-time
configuration issue to me, somewhere in the vicinity of the linker.
Why? You changed only the OS. The compiler generates machine code for
a processor; the compiler's job hasn't changed because the hardware
architecture hasn't changed. But the libraries you're using *have*
changed.

If you build the binaries on 6.2 and run them on 7.1, be aware that the
RPATH might not be appropriate to the runtime environment.

> I thought there was a mistake in definitions of SQLLEN /
> SIZEOF_LONG_INT, but I have checked and it should be fine...
> Anyway, same binaries work fine on AIX 6.1 so I don't think there is
> something wrong with this...

Right. Same processor, same object code.

HTH.