freetds - [freetds] OpenClient message: LAYER = (0) ORIGIN = (0) SEVERITY = (78) NUMBER = (35)

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "box.eugene" <box.eugene AT gmail.com>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [freetds] OpenClient message: LAYER = (0) ORIGIN = (0) SEVERITY = (78) NUMBER = (35)
  • Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 11:33:34 +1000

Hi,

I am new to freetds and have some questions about intermittent error
below that we get from our monitoring system that uses freetds for
SQLServer connect check:

ALERT : Unable to connect to instance
ERROR TEXT : OpenClient message: LAYER = (0) ORIGIN = (0)
SEVERITY = (78) NUMBER = (35)
Server <server_name_here>, database Message String: SQL Server
connection timed out.

Every time when I get above alert
- I can successfully connect to SQLServer
- do not see any errors around that time in SQLServer log
- moreover even SQLServer default trace file does not show any
activity happening around that time for some affected servers
- issue affects different servers at different times (I do not see any
pattern)
- other databases on the affected instance that are checked also by
monitoring system do not have same connection issue
- it is always one-off and intermittent issue (next run of monitoring
check scheduled every 15 mins does not have this connection issue)

Question are
1) What does "LAYER = (0) ORIGIN = (0) SEVERITY = (78) NUMBER = (35)"
error mean and what can be the cause of this error?
2) I am not sure if it is genuine connect issues (some intermittent
network problems) or freetds bug/wrong configuration/high load (we
check hundreds of databases each run)

Please advise.

--
Best regards, Eugene.

  • [freetds] OpenClient message: LAYER = (0) ORIGIN = (0) SEVERITY = (78) NUMBER = (35), box.eugene, 04/30/2012