freetds - Re: [freetds] RE : RE : [Patch] for MS Visual Studio project files

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] RE : RE : [Patch] for MS Visual Studio project files
  • Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 20:11:08 -0400

On Tue, 03 Apr 2012 10:52:09 +0200
LacaK <lacak AT zoznam.sk> wrote:

> > Perhaps it is time to add a VS2010 directory. VS2010
> > Express is also a free solution.
> >
> Yes it will be good if it will be accepted by FreeTDS project . Will
> it be ?

FreeTDS has an opening for a Windows aficionado. Hours are short and
light, and the compensation won't affect your tax return. Interested
parties are invited apply at their earliest convenience. Just let me
know.

If you care about FreeTDS on Windows and like the VS project
files enough to maintain them, I will grant you commit rights to the
repository to let you do that. My only request is that you keep the
Nmakefile updated, too.

My (long) experience with Windows development led me to use NMAKE, and
to write the NMakefile. Even today, setting up a "makefile project" in
Windows is dead-simple, and a makefile remains the most flexible and
stable -- not to mention readable -- expression of how to build the
project. It changes with the *project*, not with the release of
Microsoft's latest tool. It currently supports three versions of VS
that I know of.

Old versions of "project files" (for lack of a better term) tend to
suffer bitrot. E.g.

$ find . -name \*.ds[pw]
./win32/msvc6/libct.dsp
./win32/msvc6/FreeTDS.dsw
./win32/msvc6/dblib.dsp
./win32/msvc6/FreeTDS.dsp
./win32/msvc6/libTDS.dsp
./win32/msvc6/dblib_dll.dsp

Anyone want to bet these work? They probably should just be deleted.

Your humble maintainer no longer has or has access to a Windows
development environment. My day job no longer involves even FreeTDS!
I can continue to build it at home and test it against servers
provided by generous supporters of the project. But not on Windows,
because I don't run Windows at home. (It takes too much time.)

It's free software. You have to play to play.