freetds - Re: [freetds] apache rpm generation

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] apache rpm generation
  • Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2011 13:48:34 -0500

On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 10:56:52 +0100
<loic.cloatre AT orange.com> wrote:

> For the needed of our project, we have to compile our Apache as
> Platform Independent (i.e. with the -fPIE compile option and some
> other link options). We want to do the same with our freetds but
> there is now configure option that permit us to do that.

The options to the configure script are *project* options, not compiler
options. Compiler options can be set in e.g. CFLAGS prior to running
configure. (Unfortunately changes to CFLAGS afterward have no effect
because the Makefiles generated by configure do not honor CFLAGS.)

> (because
> when we launch apache, we get a segfault and maybe this is because of
> enable-pie option)

I'd be interested to hear if that proves to be the case. It seems
unlikely.

The PIE option is "position independent executable" (not "platform
independent"). The associated option for non-executables (such as a
library, such as FreeTDS) would be -fPIC, which the gcc docs say affects
only "m68k, PowerPC, or SPARC".

HTH.