freetds - Re: [freetds] what am I missing?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] what am I missing?
  • Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 20:37:45 -0400

On Tue, 24 May 2011 15:43:25 -0700 (PDT)
Chris Bartram <chrisrbartram AT yahoo.com> wrote:

> When connecting via dsn name it appears it?s reaching the correct
> server and using the correct TCP port ? but using TDS version 5
> instead of the version 8 as defined in the freetds.conf file? ???
>
> Perl code I?m using to connect:
>
> $dbh = DBI->connect("dbi:ODBC:SQLServer",$username,$userpass);

Configuration file issues are best debugged outside DBI. Once you have
*any* ODBC utility working, Perl will follow like a lamb.

For a unixODBC setup, I normally recommend trying the latest osql
script from CVS HEAD or a recent nightly snapshot. It reports what it
finds among your configuration files and tries to tell you what's
wrong, if anything.

Pay careful attention to the server/servername difference. One uses
freetds.conf, the other does not. Oftentimes people think they're
referring to freetds.conf when they're not, and consequently the driver
is not reading the TDS version property.

HTH.