freetds - Re: [freetds] freetds and mssql 2008 with name instance and dynamic port allocation?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Lukasz Szybalski <szybalski AT gmail.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Lukasz Szybalski <szybalski AT gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] freetds and mssql 2008 with name instance and dynamic port allocation?
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 13:42:46 -0500

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 1:22 PM, Lukasz Szybalski <szybalski AT gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 11:41 AM, Lukasz Szybalski <szybalski AT gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I'm trying to connected to named instance of sql2008. This is not a
>> default instance. As I read the :
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823938
>>
>> I see that 2008 defaults to dynamic allocated port for its named
>> instances, which means port 1433 is no longer active. (telneting port
>> 1433 does not respond.)
>> How can I setup freetds to use the name instance, will it figure out
>> the port number on its own.
>>

>>  [unixODBC][FreeTDS][SQL Server]Unable to connect: Adaptive Server is
>> unavailable or does not exist (20009) (SQLDriverConnectW)'
>>

>> [SQLServer2008]
>> Description     = Production Server
>> Driver          = TDS
>> Trace           = No
>> Server          = servername
>> TDS_Version     = 8.0
>> Instance = instancename_production
>>

>> What are my options here at this point?
>> How can I get this to work?
>
> I did confirm that sql is setup on port 0 = dynamic ports. Currently
> the instance I'm trying to connect is on port 1079. If server restarts
> or this port becomes busy the port # will change.
>
> How is freetds discovering the port location, when using dynamic
> ports, and how do I set it up?

Sorry for the triple post.

Solution is:

http://www.freetds.org/userguide/portoverride.htm

Correct: (instance name in the config file is not read, it needs to
be specified in the server name)
[SQLServer2008]
Description = Production Server
Driver = TDS
Trace = No
Server = servername\instance_name
TDS_Version = 8.0

Incorrect (instance name in the config file is not read, it needs to
be specified in the server name)
[SQLServer2008]
Description = Production Server
Driver = TDS