freetds - [freetds] freetds and mssql 2008 with name instance and dynamic port allocation?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Lukasz Szybalski <szybalski AT gmail.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] freetds and mssql 2008 with name instance and dynamic port allocation?
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 11:41:25 -0500

Hello,
I'm trying to connected to named instance of sql2008. This is not a
default instance. As I read the :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823938

I see that 2008 defaults to dynamic allocated port for its named
instances, which means port 1433 is no longer active. (telneting port
1433 does not respond.)
How can I setup freetds to use the name instance, will it figure out
the port number on its own.

[unixODBC][FreeTDS][SQL Server]Unable to connect: Adaptive Server is
unavailable or does not exist (20009) (SQLDriverConnectW)'

[SQLServer2008]
Description = Production Server
Driver = TDS
Trace = No