freetds - Re: [freetds] freetds and mssql 2008 with name instance and dynamic port allocation?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Lukasz Szybalski <szybalski AT gmail.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Lukasz Szybalski <szybalski AT gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] freetds and mssql 2008 with name instance and dynamic port allocation?
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 13:22:41 -0500

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 11:41 AM, Lukasz Szybalski <szybalski AT gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm trying to connected to named instance of sql2008. This is not a
> default instance. As I read the :
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823938
>
> I see that 2008 defaults to dynamic allocated port for its named
> instances, which means port 1433 is no longer active. (telneting port
> 1433 does not respond.)
> How can I setup freetds to use the name instance, will it figure out
> the port number on its own.
>

>  [unixODBC][FreeTDS][SQL Server]Unable to connect: Adaptive Server is
> unavailable or does not exist (20009) (SQLDriverConnectW)'
>

> [SQLServer2008]
> Description     = Production Server
> Driver          = TDS
> Trace           = No
> Server          = servername
> TDS_Version     = 8.0
> Instance = instancename_production
>

> What are my options here at this point?
> How can I get this to work?

I did confirm that sql is setup on port 0 = dynamic ports. Currently
the instance I'm trying to connect is on port 1079. If server restarts
or this port becomes busy the port # will change.

How is freetds discovering the port location, when using dynamic
ports, and how do I set it up?

Thanks,
Lucas