freetds - [freetds] SQL Server 2005 64-bit Connection oddities

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Hoellig, Peter" <Peter.Hoellig AT trane.com>
  • To: <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] SQL Server 2005 64-bit Connection oddities
  • Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 09:43:26 -0500

Hello, I've recently set up a MS SQL Server 2005 64bit (Win Server 2003
64bit) database and I'm trying to establish a connection to it using
FreeTDS (Fedora box) so that a Java app can pull information out of it.
I've had FreeTDS running properly with a SQL Server 2000 for quite some
time now and that still works fine. I've tried both ODBC-only and
ODBC-combined methods of connecting and they receive different results.

If I set up ODBC-combined then I'm able to tsql connect, but I cannot
isql connect. If I try with -v then all it says is "Could not connect to
the datasource".

If I set up ODBC-only then I am able to isql connect properly. However,
when running queries I receive a lot of SQLPrepare and SQLExecute errors
along with inconsistent result sets for the same query.

When I started this I was running FreeTDS .64 (and the errors were
occurring) so I figured that it would be a good idea to update so I
downloaded and installed .82. There were no problems during
installation, but I wouldn't discount something odd happening with my
configuration because of that. I've pasted my freetds.conf, odbc.ini,
and odbcinst.ini below. It's currently setup so that I can isql MSSQL
and get the odd results that I explained above.

Thanks in advance.

odbc.ini

[MSSQL]

Description = database

Driver = FreeTDS

Server = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\Instance

PORT = 1433

DATABASE = GSETP

odbcinst.ini // looking at this is it possible I need to update the
driver separately from the program or something along those lines?

[FreeTDS]

Description = v0.63 with protocol v8.0

Driver = /usr/lib/libtdsodbc.so.0

UsageCount = 2

freetds.conf

[global]

# TDS protocol version

; tds version = 8.0

; dump file = /tmp/freetds.log

; debug flags = 0xffff

# Command and connection timeouts

; timeout = 10

; connect timeout = 10

text size = 64512

[Test]

host = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

instance = Instance

tds version = 8.0

The information contained in this message is privileged and intended only for
the recipients named. If the reader is not a representative of the intended
recipient, any review, dissemination or copying of this message or the
information it contains is prohibited. If you have received this message in
error, please immediately notify the sender, and delete the original message
and attachments.