freetds - Re: [freetds] Problem with freebcp and fixed text output [NC]

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Konrad J Hambrick <konrad AT payplus.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Problem with freebcp and fixed text output [NC]
  • Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2009 16:53:29 -0500

Hmmm ...

Does the FORMAT file not need an explicit 0 (zero)
in Column 6 of the 2nd row of the FORMAT file to
skip DB Table Column 2 ?

I believe this is so in MS SQLServer.

-- kjh

Cedric ROUVRAIS wrote:
Hi,

Say you have a file with 100 columns and a table with 10 colums (case for
one of our apps), how do you selectively bcp in the file? With Sybase you
simply do not specify TAB_COLNUM and that column in the file is ignored.

Sample format file (incomplete)

10.0
182
1 SYBCHAR 0 20 ";" 1 id
2 SYBCHAR 0 20 ";"
3 SYBCHAR 0 20 ";" 2 gop

freebcp chokes on the second column (2 SYBCHAR 0 20 ";") and exits whereas
Sybase knows that it just needs to ignore this data, so I am modifying
bcp.c to accomodate this behaviour.

If I understand what you mean

2 SYBCHAR 0 20 ";" 0

would be the appropriate format file and then freebcp would ignore this
field but still bcp the file in?

a++ Cedric

|------------------------------ | "James K. Lowden" | <jklowden@freetds | .org> | Sent by: | freetds-bounces@l | ists.ibiblio.org | | | 08/06/2009 05:39 | PM | | | Please respond to | FreeTDS | Development Group | <freetds AT lists.ib | iblio.org> | | To FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org> cc Subject Re: [freetds] Problem with freebcp and fixed text output [NC]

Cedric ROUVRAIS wrote:
The issue one of my teams reported is that if there is a column in the
file that does not get imported into the table, then it fails. The
faulty procedure is _bcp_readfmt_colinfo which fails because TAB_COLNUM
is not present in that case.

Any ideas before I start implementing a fix?

I don't know what you mean by "not present", Cedric. It's an integer; it
has to be present.

It looks OK to me. The dbproc->hostfileinfo->host_columns array points to
a memory allocated with calloc(3) in bcp_columns(). By default, then,
ci->tab_colnum should be zero, meaning the field in the file is ignored.

HTH.

This message and any attachments (the "message") are confidential, intended solely for the addressee(s), and may contain legally privileged information. Any unauthorised use or dissemination is prohibited. E-mails are susceptible to alteration. Neither SOCIETE GENERALE nor any of its subsidiaries or affiliates shall be liable for the message if altered, changed or falsified.