freetds - [freetds] FreeTDS with MSSQL 2005 Issue

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "J. Bobby Lopez" <jbl AT jbldata.com>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [freetds] FreeTDS with MSSQL 2005 Issue
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 11:47:25 -0400

Hello All,

I'm trying to get FreeTDS working against an MS SQL 2005 (v.9.00.4035.00,
Enterprise Edition, SP3).

I've compiled freetds in the following way:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/freetds
make
make install

My '/usr/local/freetds/etc/freetds.conf' includes the following entry

# A typical Microsoft server
[Reporting]
host = 1.2.3.4
port = 1433
tds version = 7.0

I use the tsql command as follows:

tsql -S Reporting -U "domain\username"

I use the domain because the database requires "windows authentication". It
seems like it is about to connect. I get prompted for a password, and then
I get the counter seconds climbing (0,1,2,3...)

Eventually it does and throws this error:

Msg 20012, Level 2, State -1, Server OpenClient, Line -1
Server name not found in configuration files.
188Msg 20009, Level 9, State -1, Server OpenClient, Line -1
Unable to connect: Adaptive Server is unavailable or does not exist
There was a problem connecting to the server

After several attempts I figured that there just must be something
incompatible with freetds and this particular server. But then I went and
tried to connect to the database with my linux-based database query program
(RazorSQL), and it connects just fine with JDBC:JTDS.

So what am I doing wrong with FreeTDS?

Thanks in advance.

Bobby

--