freetds - Re: [freetds] Make problem....

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Frediano Ziglio <freddy77 AT gmail.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Make problem....
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 18:26:34 +0200

Il giorno sab, 20/06/2009 alle 17.26 -0400, James K. Lowden ha scritto:

> > > Heh, that explains it. I will add to to my reasons for not using
> > > ScourgeForge.
> >

> > How about we add it to the reasons to ditch CVS and switch to git or
> > Mercurial?
>
> How to put this exactly? You can't expect a guy who maintains a 20-year
> old API in a 40-year old language to rush into using new tools?
>
> At the risk of seeming hopelessly stodgy, I would be willing to move to
> Subversion, which (finally!) I also use at work. Sadly, it appears svn
> doesn't support local keyword substitution at all, whereas if SF were to
> upgrade CVS, we'd have the feature.
>
> http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/ccvs/NEWS?revision=1.383&root=cvs&view=markup
>
> Talk about not rushing: It appears the feature was added to CVS in 2003
> in version 1.12.2.

Mmmm... personally CVS start to be quite limited for me... currently I
rsync from SF to a local repository that is mirrored to git and I
develop using cvs and quilt and see patchsets on gitweb. Why
- cvs is too server dependent, cvs diff (which I use a lot) is too slow
- cvs have no concept of atomic commit or patchset
Someone use a mirrored from cvs and develop with this mirror
(read/write) but is not that easy to commit to cvs.
Personally I would like to rename/move some file but currently I cannot
do it (cvs don't allow these operations without repository file access).

Personally I'd like a VCS with patchset and rename/move (that is every
VCS on SF except CVS...). Also a good branch support and less server
dependent would be also useful (I don't know VCS so well). I like the
ability of SVN to work on https even for write.

Honestly local keywork are not my priority. However I noted a strange
row on this thread:

$NetBSD: main.c,v 1.2 2000/07/29 03:46:15 lukem Exp $

so they use keyword substitution on 2000, when CVS didn't support it ??
Or perhaps they use other way to do local keywork expansion without
proper setting con CVSROOT/config ?? The first time I saw these local
keywork was a lot time ago...

Frediano Ziglio