freetds - Re: [freetds] Make problem....

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Craig A. Berry" <craigberry AT mac.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Make problem....
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 19:40:56 -0500

On Jun 20, 2009, at 4:26 PM, James K. Lowden wrote:

Craig A. Berry wrote:

How about we add it to the reasons to ditch CVS and switch to git or
Mercurial?

How to put this exactly? You can't expect a guy who maintains a 20- year
old API in a 40-year old language to rush into using new tools?

I don't expect you to rush into anything, James, plus I'm hardly in a position to model trendiness in the technologies I spend my own time on :-). I'm also pretty sure C isn't quite 40 yet (remember, the first Unix was PDP-7 assembler with paper tape storage).

it appears svn doesn't support local keyword substitution at all

To me, having the source control system sprinkle traces of itself inside the source files it's tracking is an eccentricity of CVS that should be discarded. But if it works and people are comfortable with it, doing something about it is certainly a very low priority.

There are some advantages to the newer tools. I've been dragged kicking and screaming into using some that I've ended up being glad to learn about. But FreeTDS needs new people sending patches more than it needs new ways to marshal them into the repository. So I will shut up now.
Craig A. Berry
mailto:craigberry AT mac.com

difficult than getting in."
Brad Leithauser