freetds - Re: [freetds] Need for 0.83 as stable version

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Frediano Ziglio <freddy77 AT gmail.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Need for 0.83 as stable version
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 17:24:36 +0200

2009/6/9 James K. Lowden <jklowden AT freetds.org>:

>> As long as and commit comes with a regression test, and if that commit
>> does not break existing tests, I would release more often...
>
> But we have no such thing.  The unit tests are better than nothing, but
> they're far from exhaustive.  And there's the problem of testing on
> systems one doesn't have: 32/64 bit, DM versions, Perl/PHP versions,
> operating systems.  The real feedback mechanism is right here: people
> trying things and reporting what doesn't work.  (As you know yourself!)

yes, partially true... I keep collecting unittests. This for 3/4
years... mostly I can say that before writing code I write a test.
It's true that we cannot test with all software combination but os
dependent code don't change that much these days, we test with 32 and
64 bit machines and some regression are taken from Perl/PHP problems
so although there is no extensive testing with Perl/PHP (well...
DBD::ODBC is tested every day with some feature omitted). I have to
admit that this is more true for ODBC that other libraries.... for
instance there is no DBD::Sybase test or similars for ctlib.

> Releasing is work.  Bad releases are a lot of work, on both sides: they
> spawn a lot of questions and problems on the list, and force quick
> follow-on point releases until things settle down.  None of which serves
> anyone well.  After you've been through that once, you get conservative.

this is sadly true. But is also true that is very difficult to change
men mind :( The idea is: release is ALWAYS better than developing :( I
think I could add more and more regression tests and I could add more
and more tests platforms and that show all reports I'll have but still
release would be better than developing... I think I spent a lot of
time telling to debian people to upgrade and apply post release
patches but we had to release in order to get many things fixed...
personally I don't like keeping telling people to update (and I think
James agree with me). You to sum up I think there is no correct answer
to "how to do a FreeTDS release?".