freetds - Re: [freetds] How does one actually *use* FreeTDS?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "lists AT mgreg.com" <lists AT mgreg.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] How does one actually *use* FreeTDS?
  • Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 14:55:48 -0400

On Apr 11, 2009, at 2:18 PM, Merle Reinhart wrote:

Michael,

I use FreeTDS to talk to both Sybase and MS SQL Servers from Mac OS
10.5.6 at work.

I don't use unixODBC since iODBC comes installed with the Mac OS, so
my examples below assume iODBC was used when compiling FreeTDS. Also,
I build FreeTDS myself and installed it in /usr/local/freetds/ so
adjust accordingly.

I pretty much just followed what is described in the freetds user
guide using the ODBC-combined configuration since I want to use sqsh
(or fisql) and ODBC to talk to the servers duplicating as little of
the details of the servers as possible between the two sets of
configuration files.

Here is an example from my freetds.conf file. The Sybase server in
this example is 'bob' and the MS SQL server is 'fred'. The Sybase
servers far out number and were in existence prior to the MS SQL
server, so that is why the tds version 5 is specified in the [global]
section. The other thing is I use my local DNS server to resolve the
hostname rather than hardcode IP-addresses into the file.

freetds.conf:

[global]
# TDS protocol version
tds version = 5.0

[BOB]
host = bob.domain.com
port = 9002

[FRED]
host = fred.domain.com
port = 1433
tds version = 8.0

That will let me connect to the servers via sqsh or fisql. Now to
setup the ODBC configuration files.

Where do you place your "freetds.conf" file, and what exactly is fisql? I'm also a bit confused about the key-value setup in the DSN configuration. Would you mind pointing me in the right directly for what values are relevant?

Thanks,
Michael