freetds - Re: [freetds] FreeTDS Digest, Vol 75, Issue 9

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Merle Reinhart <merlereinhart AT mac.com>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] FreeTDS Digest, Vol 75, Issue 9
  • Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2009 15:42:26 -0400

Michael,

Where the freetds.conf file goes and what fisql is are answered in the FreeTDS UserGuide, so I suggest you read through the relevant sections again.

However, in my case, I mentioned that I had freetds installed in /usr/ local/freetds. Thus, my freetds.conf file is in /usr/local/freetds/ etc/. I have no clue where macports places it.

fisql is the freetds included replacement for the Sybase and MS SQL Server isql query app.
See the fisql man page for more information.

As far as the key-value setup in the odbc.ini file:

[BOB]
Driver = /usr/local/freetds/lib/libtdsodbc.so
Description = BOB Sybase Server
Servername = BOB

The contents between the [] is the name you will access the DSN as
'Driver' is the location of the driver
'Description' is free text as to how you want the description to appear
'Servername' is the lookup in the freetds.conf file (it matches what is in the [])

As far as using the Mac OS X ODBC Administrator to populate/create the driver and DSN entries, I have yet to be successful (the tool has never allowed me to enter the key/value pairs so I have no idea what I'm doing wrong or if it is a bug so I've avoided ODBC Administrator.app). Thus, make the files by hand and put them where they belong (/Library/ODBC for System-wide configurations). I don't know if that is your stumbling block or not.

Merle