freetds - Re: [freetds] Backporting NTLMv2 (was: NTLMv2 support for domain logins using freetds)

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Sergey Sikorskiy" <sergey.sikorskiy AT gmail.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Backporting NTLMv2 (was: NTLMv2 support for domain logins using freetds)
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 18:25:50 -0400

Hi,

I've just checked with Microsoft web-site and found detailed
documentation for NTLM.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc207842.aspx

This documentation clearly says that "(1.7) "The NTLM authentication
version is not negotiated by the protocol. It must be configured on
both the client and the server prior to authentication. The version is
selected by the client, and requested during the protocol negotiation.
If the server does not support the version selected by the client,
authentication fails."

The rest is negotiable, including sending of LMv2 hash, which won't be
sent in my implementation.

After looking over documentation I figured out that negotiation part
is almost completely missing in my implementation. I'm sorry, but this
documentation wasn't available two years ago.