freetds - Re: [freetds] Cannot connect to MSSQL named instance

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Cannot connect to MSSQL named instance
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 19:35:27 -0400

Colin Adams wrote:
> > One must ask why does telnet from the Win32 box not work? Does ping?
>
> My mistake. It does work on the port where the instance is running
> (1435, as it happens).

It is good that one asks, then! ;-)

> It doesn't work to 1434 (or 1433, for that
> matter). But would telnet work on a UDP port anyway?

No.

> > TDSDUMP will show the 1434 interaction.
>
> Which section of the user manual describes this (I can't find it yet).

There's nothing in the UG about the contents of the log. It changes
according to our whim.

> What will it show that strace doesn't?

It will show the attempts to contact the port, and any the contents of any
completely in the log file, but I don't have a convenient way to test it
atm and it turns out Microsoft didn't include a description of that packet
-- not that it's so complex -- in their published documentation of the TDS
protocol.

HTH.