freetds - Re: [freetds] MS publish TDS spec

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] MS publish TDS spec
  • Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 18:24:51 -0400

graham thwaites wrote:
> See http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc448435.aspx

Whoo hoo! Thanks for the tip!

I asked Microsoft for TDS documentation years ago and was eventually told
they wouldn't release it because they didn't want to maintain or support
it. I guess that's one difference between me and European Union.

I read MS-TDS (and MC-SMP) today. There are some dribbles of information
we didn't have, particularly about SQL Server 2005. There are also some
odd gaps. For instance, there's almost nothing about bcp and not enough
about cancellation.

One more example. I noticed the OFFSET packet type. I didn't remember
it, and there's no support (or documenation) for it in FreeTDS. I scanned
the whole document for "offset" but was unable to answer this question:
How do you cause the server to return an OFFSET packet? Please tell me
if I missed it.

Complaints notwithstanding, this is excellent news. If they keep it up to
date, we'll finally have definitive information from the vendor about
changes to the protocol.