freetds - Re: [freetds] FreeTDS hangs when running a select

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] FreeTDS hangs when running a select
  • Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 16:03:37 -0400

Brian Johnson wrote:

> Let me start by saying that the following numbers are somewhat made up,
> but demonstrate the problem accurately. Anyway, lets say we have a
> table with 5 columns, and 100 rows. If we do a "select * from foo", we
> would expect to get 100 rows returned. We don't. Instead we get say 25
> rows, and the select hangs. I can print out the results of those 25
> rows in perl, but the 26th row never gets returned.
>
> So, we modified the select to be "SELECT col1 FROM foo", and we got all
> 100 rows of that column. So we did "SELECT col1, col2 FROM foo", and
> then we got 75 rows and it hung. So we tried "SELECT col1, col2, col3"
> FROM foo", and ended up getting 50 rows.
>
> Of course, the numbers were not so nice and round. As for how we are
> connecting, I have tried DSN and DNS-less connections with dbi::ODBC,
> and of course have tried with sqsh. For sqsh I added an entry to
> freetds.conf, and then ran sqsh -S ENTRYNAME -U USER -P PASS. I was
> able to do very small selects, but any time I did a select that returned
> large numbers of rows it hung.

There's nothing in FreeTDS that would explain what you're seeing. It sure
sounds to me like there's something on your network -- perhaps a firewall?
Some sort of traffic shaper? -- between you and your server.

You can use TDSDUMP to create a log of the session and show it to your
network folks. I think you'll see the server seems to stop sending in
mid-packet. If you can show a successful log with the old server, that
might convince them to track it down.

HTH.